Saturday, March 22, 2008

Forgiveness and Healing



Is it possible for us to be healed of our mental, emotional and physical ailments and still hang on to bitterness and unforgiveness?



As a therapist I say "NO!"
As a Christian Minister I say, "NO, NO, NO!"

Muslim fanatics are models of what happens when there is no forgiveness and no mercy or grace.

Unforgiveness or bitterness means that I harbor a desire for revenge. I want the person who harmed me to suffer. That is natural and normal but Jesus died so we could live super-natural and above normal lives.

Forgiveness does not mean we must immediately feel differently about the harm done to us. Hurt feelings are different from harboring vengeful ideas and doing vengeful acts. Our emotional feelings can catch up with the spiritual act of forgiving. Forgiveness is an act of the will. It is a decision. Feelings follow decisions not the other way around.

Gary Sweeten
Sweeten Life Systems
A 501c3 non profit charity

No comments: