Tuesday, March 11, 2008


Reports keep coming in from around the world about how people's lives are being changed through our ministry over the years. Here are two letters from a Counselor Trainer of missionaries with Youth With A Mission's University of the Nations. YWAM is one of the largest and most creative missionary organizations in the world.

The letters have been edited to protect the writer's privacy and to replace certain "inside counseling terms" with words familiar with the general audience.

Hi Gary,

I am sure you don't remember me, but I worked in the Counseling Clinic in 1988 at YWAM's University of the Nations in Kona, Hawaii

Your workshops...transformed the way I went about counseling. I used (your methods) to do my own workshops... It was always astounding how well they worked. I am still with YWAM, but my wife and I started a base in _____ two years ago. I taught my staff (your materials) today— it was the first time in 19 years, but it was still effective. (How can) I ... obtain a copy of the first Apples book?

For the Kingdom,

Jim _____

Jim, you can find all my books on http://www.amazon.com/

Thank you Gary,

I (ordered your Listening Book) and I have it in my possession. It was a nice addition to have your picture on the back cover. I have not done any... training in years, but I plan to start doing seminars.

I don't think you ever got any feedback (from me before) Gary. I actually dumped all my notes and completely changed my style of counseling at the U of N clinic using your ... techniques. It transformed my work!

In fact, the (processes) were quite embarrassing when I did them in workshops, because people would share at a level of intimacy that was so deep. So I don't know who else you touched (at YWAM University) but it transformed my work.

In His Peace,

Jim

It is nice to hear from Missionaries who took our training over twenty years ago. Our approach has been to partner with churches and mission organizations and train them in care, counsel, healing and family life. The Lord made it clear that we were not to do all the work ourselves but "Equip the locals to minister to others".

This model has worked showing again that the methods of Jesus are always the most effective. In Matthew 28 Jesus told His disciples to go an make disciples of all nations and that is exactly what we do. We do not make converts but train converts how to reproduce.

2 comments:

KiddDoc said...

I have always enjoyed Gary's teaching, but the acrostic "V-C-R" has always been the simplest and most profound aspect that I have passed along. I have recently adapted it to a retail environment with great success. In other words, the reason why "How can I help you?" is so annoying is that it jumps from the "V" stage to the "R" stage without listening to the complaints!

Thanks Uncle Gary

Gary Sweeten said...

Thanks, Doc.

I do appreaciate the fact that you are a quick learner.