You can lead the horse to water but you cannot make him drink
You can teach the people lots of things but you cannot make them think
Steps to facilitate drinking and thinking:
1. Build a long term relationship. People don't change immediately. We all go through several stages even when we do change. As the Bible says: "Do not grow weary in doing good."
2. Listen more than you talk. If you were to hear an audio tape of your conversations, would it show you talking or listening more?
3. Be interested in what the other people are talking about. Allow them to tell their story. They are much more interested in their story than your stories.
4. Remove all B.S. from your conversation. B.S. stands for Blame and Shame. Do you like to talk with people who Blame you and Shame you? Neither do I.
5. Pray silently for them. God hears you but they don't need to.
6. Tune in to their mood.
Are they somber? Be low key.
Are the happy. Laugh with them.
7. Take your time. God is in no hurry.
8. Relax. Peacefulness begets trust. Give it to God. We are not in control.
9. Buy the coffee or the meal. Give and it shall be given unto you.
10. Remember, there are two things that rarely ever happen. They are: Everything and nothing. What usually happens is something. One small step is more than enough for things to change.