Monday, April 14, 2008

Essential Life Skills


When I am coaching and Consulting with organizations I am often struck by the fact that almost nobody has had any actual training in the essential skills of being a manager or leader. I met recently with the top dozen managers of a mid sized company and we discussed the lack of training in the essential skills of leading, motivating and influenceing others.

are all about being influential. We are paid to be experts on how to influence our staff, students, parishioners and kids. But I was not taught the skills of influence in any of my classes nor are most of my colleagues.


Right after I finished my doctorate and took the workshop by Dr. Walters I decided to master, write and teach these essential skills to others. Over the past 33 years we have had about 500,000 people read our materials and attend our training. Still, much more needs to be done so we are expanding our ministry.


The first step is laying out the Levels of Leading and Influencing others. The list goes from the most basic and simple to the most difficult and complex. Today I will present the simple ones.


Level 1 Give and Receive Basic Instructions Can understand and written information (one-way) communication. Some people see themselves as slaves who are only listen to the wishes of others.
Level 2 Serve. At this level the servant responds to implicit or explicit requests for action.
Level 3 Amuse Divert others with humor. In America we have moved into the mode of constant entertainment and amusement.
Level 4 Persuade. Influences in favor of a product, service, or point of view.


I often point out that most churches seek a minister who operates at the first four levels. They want a person who can understand orders, carry out the wishes of the people while amusing them and persuading others to do good deeds. Unfortunately, this is not leading.


Is this as far as you were trained? If so, cheer up. Help is on the way.

No comments: