Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Living Large in the Workplace


I grew up with the idea that church and work were supposed to be clearly separated. We lived and worked and played in a secular world and went to church to be spiritual. I was wrong.
Don't misunderstand what me. I am not saying that we who Believe that Jesus died and rose again from the grave ought to be standing on a soap box and expounding on a favorite text from Holy Writ. I have worked in several organizations where that would have been inappropriate, offensive and illegal.

I worked at the University of Cincinnati for six years as an Associate Dean of Students. I had a wonderful boss, Dr. Bill Nester, who used his faith to be a blessing to many people. Bill encouraged me to integrate God's love and word into my life on campus whenever possible. However, most of the time it was by relating to people with the Fruit of the Spirit. "Love, joy, peace, gentleness and patience..." are always acceptable to others. Galatians 5:22ff

U.C. was a State University and it was illegal for me to agressively promote my Christian faith to students. However, showing God's love in practical ways is never out of bounds. I often spoke about God and pray for students but I always asked permission first.

One day I asked a young man suffering from depression if I might include him in my personal prayers. He said, "No"! I replied that if that was what he wanted it would be fine with me. We have no right to attempt to force our views on others. It is disrespectful of both God and the person to do so.

If we truly trust God we can relax and initiate a specific action step only when the Spirit has first prepared the way. Many Christians think they need to "help God out" by pressuring people to listen to their testimony or receive prayer. God does not need our help. He is perfectly able to tell us when and how to minister at work. However, when He does show up, be bold and offer God's love to the person in need.

Gary Sweeten

No comments: