Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Leaning on the Everlasting Arms


What a fellowship
What a joy Divine
Leaning on the everlasting arms
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near
Leaning on the everlasting arms

I woke up this morning at about 5:45 as is my habit, and this song was running through my mind. I must have wrestled with some fears and anxieties in the night for God's Spirit rose up from within and gave me comfort.

This has happened before. Many years ago I was going through severe stresses and losses. My fear, anxieties and anger kept me rolling and tossing all night. At one point I woke up singing in my heart not aloud,

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days, all the days of my life (2 Times)
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever;
And I shall feast at the table set for me
(Chorus)

My depression and anxiety lifted and I experienced peace and rest in Christ. The losses and pain did not cease but I was able to face my fear, anger and grief with the assurance that God had me in the palm of His hand.

My retirement portfolio is, like yours, sinking. But, I brought nothing into this world and I will take nothing out. I am powerless to change world markets and I cannot change my IRAs.

I am so thankful that God is with us and in us just as Jesus promised. He will never leave us even when my anxiety pushes the awareness of it out of my mind and heart. It is obvious that the Spirit was praying for me with deep groans even as I slept. The Spirit was "singing over me" during the night hours.

The everlasting arms are still strong and secure despite the weakness and insecurity of the markets. I still find it amazing, however, that God is so close that He knows to sing to me with the hymns of my childhood. I have not sung Leaning on the Everlasting Arms in many years but its message has never left my heart.

Today, while cruising at 55,000 feet over the Atlantic on my way to Moscow you can bet that I will be praising and thanking God for His personal presence. This is why a personal relationship with Jesus is so important. I don't need an institutional or organizational relationship but one that is deep, intimate and uplifting. Thanks to the grace of God I have it.

You can have it too.

1 comment:

Amy Rudge said...

Thanks Gary...that was an encouraging word...
have a great trip!!