Sunday, September 28, 2008

Why Minister Internationally?


I have been traveling a lot over the past 15-20 years and some of my friends and church supporters are not very happy about it. They ask a lot of questions indicating that they are somehow slightly or greatly aggrieved that I spend so much time helping people other than Americans.

"Why are you doing this, Gary? Aren't the problems and concerns in America worthy of your best efforts?" It sometimes feels like sibling rivalry. The same issues that roiled the Smothers Brothers who made millions saying, "Mom always loved you best."

I do love my brothers and sisters in Singapore, China, Scandinavia and Russia. But, warm, caring feelings are not enough to cause me to fly in a seat half the size of my backside to stay in cramped quarters and work all day and all night. (Nor is it the glamour or being an "international minister".)

It was the call of God that originally got me on those airplanes and it is the confirmation of the Spirit that keeps me going. The Lord has confirmed my call by showing me the critical importance of having American Christians involved in the spiritual, social and economic growth of the developing world. Unless you live in a cave it is obvious that many citizens around the world are very reactive to U.S. foreign policies. However, once they get to know us a Christians and humans the people tend to like Americans.

I leave Tuesday for Russia and Denmark for two weeks. I need your prayers and your financial support. There is tremendous warfare raging in Russia that tears at the souls of Russian Christians. It is very expensive to live in Russia and the costs for Believers and churches is even higher emotionally and financially.

Sweeten Life Systems does its best to support the work but rent, travel costs to the various Russian cities and daily living is difficult so those who volunteer must give up jobs to serve Christ. We are trying to raise funds to provide small stipends and grants for the teachers. They appreciate all we do.

The only hope for peace, security and economic stability is God and we are supporting our Russian friends as they trust God in their desperate circumstances. Help us help them.
Sweeten Life Systems
P.O. Box 498455
Cincinnati 45249

No comments: