Saturday, September 20, 2008

Coming Back From Adversity


One of the most important things we can teach one another, especially our kids, is the ability to "Bounce Back" after facing adversity. Adversity is inevitable so learning how to face it and come back from it stronger is critically important.


In the last few months we have seen several enormously damaging natural disasters. Earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and droughts have all battered us with their overwhelming damage and trauma. Here in Cincinnati we saw unusual if not unique windstorms last Sunday that left almost a million people without power. The ability to respond to such things is essential to our ability to survive and thrive in life.


Everyone who faces such disasters and disappointments suffers stress as a result of adversity. So, being able to mentally, emotionally and physically respond in a healthy and life affirming way is the difference between a break through and a break down. Adversity is inevitable but Misery is optional.


You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. Elanor Roosevelt


By facing our fears and thinking of ways to cope or even rise above them we can strengthen our mental muscles very much like we strengthen our physical muscles. The recent monetary crisis caused most of us, including me, to experience some fears. My retirement funds have been shrinking and my ministry's financial health depends solely upon the generosity of supporters, many of whom are also facing financial pressures.


I was and am tempted to deny the realities of a loss of financial support but I overcame some of that resistance by going online and looking at the reality of what is happening to my nest egg. It is not good! However, I decided to call the New York office of the TIAA-CREF retirement fund that I started when I was at the University of Cincinnati. I am thankful because I learned some things that helped me decide what to do to stave off some of the possible problems.


The result was I felt a lot better about taking the action and it strengthened my resolve to respond healthily to the situation. I cannot control the stock market or the wind storms but I can manage my own feelings and behaviors in response to those things. I am still learning how to be resilient and I hope you are.


Optimism and faith are key to long life and prosperity.

No comments: