Sunday, June 24, 2007

Ready to Launch

I have been reading about Apple's new launch of a cell phone and I am amazed at the hype Apple is able to generate over each new technological play thing. The Apple McIntosh Computer was a thing to behold and a wonderful machine to use. The hype it generated was a model in marketing and buzz.

Then the iPod came along and now it has become a regular part of our lexicon meaning any kind of MP3 player like using Kleenex to mean any type of tissue. On June 29 Steve Jobs will issue a new type of cell phone that combines entertainment and telephony. Unless you have lived under a rock, you already know this.

I am somewhat embarrassed. Why? You ask. Because I am launching a new product and an entirely new thrust to my ministry along with a new name and new board. Yet few of you, the general public, and even those close to me know about it. It appears that I need to have Steven Jobs on my marketing staff. (Oh, I forgot. I do not have a marketing department or a marketing staff. I do not even have a paid person to raise funds for the ministry.)

Despite my failure as a marketing guru, I want you to know about this new focus. So, we are going to have an two official "Launches" of the New Things on July 12 and August 9. I am hoping those few people who are invited will help us get the word out to the general public.

Why Are We Changing Names?

Life Way Ministries, Inc is a good name. In fact, it is too good and several other ministries also use Life Way as part of their moniker. That causes confusion.

Life Way is a brand of the Southern Baptist Sunday School Board and far too many people think we are part of the SBC family. That is rather nice for us because we get the overflow from the SBC good will. However, it is not accurate nor is it fair to the SBC who spend a lot of time and money promoting their brand name.

Life Way is also part of the name for the counseling center I set up in 1989. We named it Life Way thinking that by using a similar name people would understand that I was founder and head of both. That was a mistake. Life Way Counseling Centers provide professional, credentialed and clinical therapy to people in need. Our ministry is a non-profit charity so the differences are many and huge. Confusion is harmful to both organizations.

Lifeway for Youth is a non-profit group that places children in foster homes. Last year Lifeway for Youth placed a child in a home where the parents neglected him and the child died. Many people have been confused about whether or not we were the same organization. This is harmful to our reputation and opportunities as well as our funding.

So, we will have a new name. One that is easily remembered and that connects with our long and varied history. Stay tuned for the new name.

No comments: