Monday, May 14, 2007

Crisis Ministry-What to Do?

After 911 the entire world, an especially the population of the USA, was in shock. What was the best thing Christian leaders could have done?

I was in Virginia Beach at a conference when the evil event occurred. I too was stunned and unable to think clearly. Thankfully I was with friends in a congregation who instinctively responded with acts of faith and healing.

Virginia Beach and Kempsville Presbyterian Church are filled with military personnel and veterans so they are experienced in dealing with grief and pain. Pastor Nate and his staff at KPS gathered and put together a wonderful service of prayer, worship and hope that allowed us to heal. Coming together with a thousand believers to read the Bible, sing hymns exalting God's power and glory and listen to words of encouragement and love was a wonderful event in the midst of the gory details coming from New York and Washington, D.C.

Communities of worship are one of the very few places where humans can come together after a tragedy to work out our pain and grief and regain hope to march on in life. In the midst of overwhelming loss where else can we go for hope and healing. As the old hymn says

Where could I go?
Where could I go?
Where could I go but to the Lord?
Needing a friend to keep me to the end,
Where could I go but to the Lord?

In times of trial we come together to worship He who is our Rock and He who never changes. Even atheists are interested in prayer when they are in fox holes but they have no places to guy or hymns to sing.

No comments: