Wednesday, December 27, 2006

To Coach or Counsel? That is the Question

At the bottom of my e mail I have a signature. It says I am a Coach and Consultant. I do not mention another C word, Counselor. This is despite the fact that I am known by many people to be a Counselor and Healer. Sooo, why not list it?

For one thing, I retired my LPCC license because of too much stress. After having a heart problem and ending up with a stint in my artery I decided that working 80 hours each week trying to Coach, Consult and Counsel as well as run two organizations was too much. After recovering I retired from being a Professional Counselor to emphasize helping pastors and other leaders grow in wisdom, peace and knowledge. Now I just say I Coach/Consult for those terms focus on growth more than healing.

We know from the Bible and from experience how to prevent most physical, spiritual and emotional problems. Why wit until a crisis forces us to see a Counselor before we act? A good Coach/ Consultant can see where potential problems lie and guide folks to take the detours necessary to avoid a crisis.

But many people avoid getting help in advance. They wait until the heart attack hits or the church splits or the wife leaves. I am reminded of a song from my youth, "Detour, there's a muddy road ahead. Detour, I should have read that detour sign." We just cannot believe we will hit the muddy road.

For those who do seek a Coach/Consultant, the roads chosen are dryer and easier to navigate. I love to help pastors avoid the muddy roads I drove on so long.

No comments: