Sunday, July 15, 2007

Mentoring

If I had to write a resume to actually impress folks I would simply write down the names and ministries of the men and women who have been involved in my mentoring over the past 40 years. I have done what the church called "DISCIPLESHIP" ever since I taught school and discovered that it was impossible to teach all the kids by myself.

There was not enough time or energy in the first place. Second, surprisingly, the brighter kids did a better job of coaching and mentoring their friends than I. They had the same language, the same needs and the same mental and emotional levels of learning.

When we planted three house churches around the UC campus during the Jesus Movement I rediscovered that those principles still worked. As I studied the Bible and noted how Jesus taught I found that mentoring/coaching was not an original idea with me. Jesus thought of it 2000 years before I hit on the idea.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That brings me to another part of my resume. Way back in the Eighties a couple named Bill and Kay Martin came to one of the LIFE Seminars at College Hill. They were deeply touched by the Listening and RCT training and found that these skills were foundational to an overseas ministry. Unfortunately, Bill passed away before they could take their mission assignment, but Kay decided that she would not be deterred by his death and went to Ukraine.

Kay fit right in with the widows and Babushkas in Ukraine and she implemented many great programs to help the people. Her ministry included a great deal of work with addicts and she worked to translate our books into Russian. She also got permission to translate The Recovery Bible by Steven Arterburn into Russian. Go to www.liferoute.ru to see part of the Recovery Bible online. It is a testimony to Kay's perseverance and love.

Thank you Bill and Kay. I am sure Bill is smiling in Heaven and Kay is happy back in the USA over the ways God has blessed their outreach. Galina sends her warmest greetings and love from Russia where their hard work is paying great dividends in lives saved and families delivered from addiction. Thank you for giving to the Lord.

No comments: