Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Another Anniversary Story


I recently posted a story about God showing up in my car fifty years ago this month. I was twenty years old and fighting to stay away from church and out of the way of ministers, evangelists and those who were led to tell me about Jesus. I usually found protection from those kinds of people in dance halls and gambling joints.

But, that was not enough. When God decides to come after you it is impossible to run fast enough to escape. My hyper Armenian friends may disagree but that is fine for when we hear their stories they are remarkably similar to mine.

One of the first things God said to me after He opened my eyes was perhaps the most shocking thing of all. He whispered, "Go to college." What a shock. Nobody in my family had sullied himself with a college education and I was not very interested in being the first. But, the Lord said it and I was wise enough to recognize that He meant it.

"But why," My parents asked me? "Why would you quit a good job and go to college? What do your want to do? Did God tell you that?"

I was stumped. I had no idea why the Lord told me to go to college. And, the whole idea of going to college scared me because I had not done well in high school. I felt like I was dumb because I did not really fit. But, God said "Go!" and I couldn't say no. So, in 1958 I started attending Mt. Vernon Community College, now named Rend Lake College. Back then we met in a couple of buildings next to my high school and the teachers were also from that school.

So, fifty years ago I started my college education and it was great. I discovered that I was made for college. The fact that I did not have to sit quietly for several hours and be still was joy. Anyone as ADHD as I needed shorter classes and a lot more class room discussion and interaction. I was in Heaven at college!
Anyone else ever have such an experience?
Take a look at www.sweetenlife.com for more about us.

1 comment:

Paula Clare said...

Hi Gary,
My college career (which began at the tender age of 40) was some of the best years of my life. While in undergrad I was able to travel to England, New York, and the Bahamas. I was beginning my Franciscan vocation...I was stepping back from the denominational doctrine of my youth and determining what (if any) of it I wanted to retain. Many a lively conversation was had both at a secular 2 year college (Rend Lake) and a 4 year liberal arts Methodist College (McKendree University) The bulk of my spiritual growth, however, came during my time at Lincoln Christian Seminary. How glorious to find people who, like me, were passionate and zealous for the things of God and Christian ministry!

I too was "first generation college", and will always count my years as an academic among the best in my spiritual formation.

Thanks for (provoking) the memories!