Sunday, November 09, 2008

Win A Prize


In my post on Saturday I mentioned a contest to see who can identify the three things that happened in 1619 that changed history. These three things changed the colonies, the USA and the world. However, they are barely recognized today.

Certain events are considered to be "Hinges of History". The reason is that these events, like the election of Obama, provide the hinges for doors to open massive changes in society. Winston Churchill, for example, wrote that the "Battle of Britain" was such a hinge because it stopped Hitler from his march to conquer the world.

Can you tell me what these three "Hinges of History" in 1619 were? If you can I will send you a free gift card from http://www.amazon.com/ All you need to do is write me those three things on my comments section and I you win.

Karen and I discussed the contest last night and she remembered two of the three. Close but no cigar. Sorry, Karen, you are not a winner this time. (You are a constant winner in my heart though.)

Gary Sweeten
http://www.sweetenlife.com/
gary@sweetenlife.com

2 comments:

Michael W Cristiani said...

Here's 4:

The Virginia House of Burgesses convenes for the first time, leading to the American Revolutionary War, 157 years later

First African slaves arrive in Jamestown, Virginia.

Jamestown colonists learned to grow tobacco, stabilizing their economy

Large number of women arrive at Jamestown for the first time, improving the viability of the settlement.

marcusohara@aol.com said...

Hey Gary,
One of the events would be the first governmental Assembly (House of Burgesses) meets in Jamestown, Virginia.

The second would be a ship carrying African Indentured Servants for the first time. They were pirated from a Spanish ship and intended to have a set time of servitude.

The only other event I can locate is that a shipload of women were delivered to the Virginia colony this same year to become wives to the settlers.

I received a few emails from Michael Cristiani on election day that lead me to some other blogs discussing the issue of the day. One of them was Chuck Colson's blog in which he alluded to some remarks by Alexander Solzenitsyn. I put the entire speech on my blog, marcohara.blogspot.com/ He made the speech back in 1978 and it's a long one. However it is very prophetic in that it shows what he thought was wrong with our Country at that time. 30 years later we can see how little has been done and how far we have fallen. Since you work closely with Russian Christians I thought you might like to read it.

I hope you and Karen are all moved in and settled.
Best wishes and Blessings,
Marc O'Hara