Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Adversity Is Rare?

Real difficulties can be overcome. It is only the imaginary ones that are unconquerable. Theodore N. Vail


I received a comment from an acquaintance in Europe asking why Americans are trying to get our government to help us pay for gasoline. That is a great question. She goes on to say that they are paying much more for gasoline than we are but do not expect the government to help them out.


My friends Jens-Petter Jorgensen and Astrid have been visiting us recently and they too commented about the ways Americans are complaining and whining over gasoline. They pointed out that, although Norway is one of the highest producers of oil in the world, they must pay $12.00 per gallon for petrol. (Most of this cost is from taxes)

Why are we whining so much about gasoline when it is only $4.00 per gallon? That is still very low by international standards. Why do we ask the government to give us money to pay for the gas? Why does Obama think it is necessary to say he will pass extra taxes on oil companies and give them to Americans as $1,000.00 checks?

Help our European friends understand us better. Write your answer to their questions.

Life is tough enough without manufacturing things to worry about.

Facing it — always facing it — that's the way to get through. Face it! Joseph Conrad
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Groucho Marx

Security is a superstition--it does not exist in nature. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Helen Keller

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am "whining" because as the price of oil increases, I notice that my standard of living decreases. If the cost of filling my tank goes up, the cost of my groceries goes up, the cost of shipping goes up, the cost of airfare goes up, the cost of consumable goods goes up, etc, I cannot help but notice that I have less money at the end of the month to save, to pay back to debtors and to spend on my family. I guess I'm surprised that someone would minimalize the effect of increasing cost of living to American families. When I read some of your other posts, it seems that you want greater communication between spouses and family members. But surely financial pressure exposes the cracks in the family ties. Is this financial crisis comparable to the depression? No. But is this a stress on families?
I'm sure you don't mean it to sound this way, but it sort of sounds to me that you are blaming me for worrying about providing for the long term stability of my family.
Perhaps we should become more “European” as your friends suggest. I’m certain that most Americans wouldn’t mind paying 40% income tax, as well as $12 per gallon (most of it tax).

Gary Sweeten said...

Thanks. Yes, our cost of living is higher with higher oil prices. No question about that and I am also complaining about it. However, my concern is thinking the Feds should send me a check. That will not actually make oil prices go down but will make taxes go up. Am I off base here?

Paula Clare said...

Hi Gary (and European Friends!)
I too am whining about gasoline prices because the reality is that I counsel many families who are having to choose between gasoline and going to work, or groceries. Choosing between having gasoline to go to work OR go to church on Sunday. I personally live in a very economically depressed area, and the poorer among us are just scraping by as it is. While I realize a government handout is NOT the answer, what is? Shouldn't the CHURCH step up to the plate and begin trying to help these folks? Isn't that why we're here? Jesus said, "The poor you will always have with you..." which is true. But must their lives be a perpetual and continual series of struggles?

I agree with our European friends, and I know that Europe has its poor as well as America does. But the Church of Jesus Christ is global. Where are we during these times of struggle and pain?

Several churches locally have cancelled their van ministries, as well as cancelled one or two nights of church services a week due to congregants being unable to pay for the gas to get there...are home churches the answer?

One church that DID try to do it right got smacked by the county. Read about it here:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2008/07/31/0731tent.html

Gary Sweeten said...

Paula, rising oil and therefore gasoline prices are harassing many of us. I hate to pay $3.00 to $4.00 per gallon for gasoline just as you do, and I am not put in the poor house as a result.

Keep the comments coming. I can't adequately respond on the comment page but will try to establish a dialogue on the blog.