Friday, August 22, 2008

What do I do?

I must admit it is hard for me to give simple "elevator speech" about what my ministry is all about. Part of my problem is a genetic defect. I am a big picture person who loves to cover all my bases and I do mean ALL.

I am, therefore, constantly trying to be holistic and make sure I not only know everything about a topic but also teaching others everything I know. Here is an example. I entered Graduate School at Southern Illinois to study Student Personnel Administration and Counseling college age students. I learned all the various theories of counseling and influence and change and told by the professors that I had to choose one of them. But, I saw that each theory had some validity and each would work with a different person or group.

As a result I learned all of them and decided to use the one that works best with each person or group. When I am asked to clearly identify the theory I use in counseling I answer with several different ones. That is OK for me but confusing for others.

My mother died without being able to tell people what I do. She said, "I just tell people you are a preacher." I just agree and go on.

I am a person that is heavily invested in helping people develop better relationship skills. I want to see healthy individuals, healthy families and healthy work places. I am a person who tries to foster growth, healing and love, especially with Christians. That is hard to pidgeon hole too narrowly.

1 comment:

Paula Clare said...

Hi Gary,
I find those of us with "people jobs" who are global thinkers besides have a tough time narrowing down ANYTHING...our vocation is no different!

I think elevator speeches are overrated anyway...I'd far rather hear the shpiel of a passionate servant...regardless how long (and rambling) it may be!

Blessings,
Paula Clare