Saturday, August 02, 2008

Learned Optimism

Photo of a Pessimist
I realize that I am an optimist. I tend to see the upside of things while many folks, if not most, tend to see the downside.
I have not always been as optimistic as I am now.
I grew up in a family that was dominated by pessimistic thoughts. My Maternal Grand Father was a "Worry Wart" of the first order. He was, in fact, so filled with worry and pessimism that it led him to deep hopelessness and depression.

I nursed my Grand Father for several years and that developed a strong resistance to pessimism. However, I found my own thoughts wandering in that direction with great frequency. And, since I had no training in how to renew my mind, I would often end up angry, distressed and behaving like a "Wounded Water Buffalo". (Now all you "Friends of the Wounded Water Buffaloes" do not need to email me cause I apologise in advance.)

Then I learned how to renew my mind and take pessimistic thought prisoner to rational, positive thinking. Wow! What a relief. Thank God for His wonderful words of comfort and growth.

I began this post with some reflections on the unemployment figures for Ohio and the USA. However, my introduction became so long I am going to close this post and do another one on the malaise in America.

No comments: