Monday, August 25, 2008

Love and Relationships



Let me tell you a story. Karen and I just returned from lunch at "The Chef's Deli" that is located down the road from us in Sharonville. On the way back we spotted a light truck hauling a long trailer with a long sign painted on the side. It was in large bold letters and announced the evangelistic intentions of the driver. Would you like to guess what it said?


I have been all over the world and talked with Believers of every kind and description from almost every tribe and tongue. I love to hear their stories about how God touched them despite all manner of cultural, mental, theological and religious barriers. In almost every case the barrier busting approach that was most effective had a similar theme: Some kind of caring relationship.


In some cases the story was about how God broke through and showed His mercy, grace and love to an unsuspecting unbeliever. At other times it was a friend or family member who showed the love of God through kindness. In many cases God broke in through a dream, vision or miracle and shocked the unbeliever into his senses.


Of all the cases I know, however, none came as a result of reading a slogan on the side of a truck or trailer. In fact, many people see slogans as offensive rather than loving. I remember a time when some organization was promoting the "I Found It Campaign" and placed "I Found It" signs and bumper stickers all over town. In response, a group of Jewish adherents made signs that said, "We Never Lost It".


The Bible is clear that loving relationships are the greatest way to bring people to faith in Christ. Jesus told the Disciples in Luke 9 and 10 to go out and bless the people around them with love and peace. This is the best way to preach good news. Jesus did not not paint impersonal slogans on wagons and ox carts. Instead he touched people with love and care and healing power.

What is your approach?

Want to know the painted slogan?





Heaven or Hell?





It is your choice!





If people driving next to that truck had read and started to confess and repent of their sins we would have seen massive traffic tie ups and accidents. I don't ever remember hearing stories about that happening at bill boards or bumper stickers. Do you?

2 comments:

Amy Rudge said...

Right on!! This guy was walking around Starbucks the other day passing out little booklets. Not talking to people, not getting to know them, but walking up to them and just shoving this little book in their face and then walking away. I was sitting outside with a few of my students talking about God when he tried to shove the little booklet into my hand. I looked at him and said thanks, but I'm already a Christ follower...and he just looked at me and walked away. I was perplexed...why would he not want to then have a conversation with me? I suppose maybe someone would read one of his booklets and be in the right place for God to draw that person to Him through reading...but why is it so scary for us to build relationships and really get to know people before pushing our "religion" on them?? ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gary Sweeten said...

Amy, that is a great example of what not to do in this day and time. Karen and I were in an Asian country teaching at a Bible school. I had two similar experiences on that trip.

I went into a jewlery store to get a gift for one of our volunteers. The owner came over and started telling me how bad American Christians were. "You need to meditate! You mut meditate. Not os anxious!" He was extremely anxious. I smiled and thanked him profusely and bought a gift.


A few days later Karen and I were walking down the street and a woman came running up to us and shoved a paper into our hands. It was in Chinese so I asked her what it said. "Revival!' She shouted. "Bit revival! American preacher! You come! Get Jesus!"

I said, "I already got Jesus."

She replied, "OH! and immediately went on down the street. She was very disappointed that we were already Believers in Christ.