Friday, November 03, 2006

Responses to Honoring My Family

I received several responses to my blog post about where I grew up and what my dad would call "Hardscrabble situation in which we lived". Murray Hastings, one of my longest friends in ministry, who retired last year after 50 years of serving Christ, sent in a nice response about his own childhood. I asked Murray if he would give me permission to post his comments and he said, "Sure".

I found his short essay to be rather inspiring and touching. Murray also became an Episcopal Clergyman and served two congregations in Cincinnati until retirement. Murray, wife Alixe and their family were dynamic leaders in the Spiritual renewal and revival during what we call, The Jesus Movement in the Seventies.

After retirement the Hastings refused to rest on their laurels and planted a new congregation in Silverton. They have followed in his dad's footsteps and ministered consistently to minorities, the poor and needy and have created many new and different kinds of programs for people.

By Murray Hastings

Thanks for the story. I, too, grew up during the depression, but we always had enough. Dad, a former successful businessman, felt called to the ministry (Episcopal) I was born at that time, the youngest of four by ten plus years.

We moved to Ethete, Wyoming where Dad became a missionary to the Arapahoe Indians. Because of his business background he turned a very sad place around and the Arapahoes began to have thriving businesses and farming.

He developed a school for the children and many of them went on to college etc. We were very thrifty, but were blessed. Alixe and I both are so grateful to have been born in this country and to have settled for all our married and professional life here in Cincinnati.

God is good and awesome.

God bless you and your ministry.

Murray

No comments: