Monday, November 13, 2006

Rose Bushes Have Thorns


The tragic situation of Mr. Ted Haggard has stunned and pained all of us that love God and want to see His people and His churches prosper. Most of us are in agony when we think of his wife and fine children, but we also feel a bit hopeless and helpless. What can we do about such situations?

The other thing I pick up from discussing this with pastors and laity alike is confusion. "How can this happen to a top leader?" "How can a man like Ted Haggard risk so much to get a few moments of stolen pleasure?" "How can a spiritual strong man fall so ingloriously?"

Let me address the second question first. Perhaps men and women in high positions are more vulnerable than anyone else. In fact, St. Paul said as much in II Corinthians 12:

1 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell. 5 I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses. 6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say.

7 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh

8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Paul says that we need to set an example of weakness and vulnerability so Christ can be seen as strong in us. Most of my life I have tried to set an example of strength in myself so people would admire me and see what strong, wise and smart people Jesus had in His corner.

It appears that Mr. Haggard tried to keep his thorn in the flesh under his control so the example he set would be one of strength, power, beauty, wisdom, success and richesriches; He and Jimmy Baker both had that success syndrome down pat.

Mr. Bakker was rich, famous, a TV star who began to believe his own clippings. Jesus must have really been impressed to have such a great man helping Him out. Gentle Jesus, meek and mild needs us to make a strong impression.

I know that line of reasoning have used it to be the rationale why it is embarrassing and poor form to confess my temptations and weaknesses. Especially if it is a real, "Thorn in the flesh" that I have confessed many time and prayed about many times and so far Jesus has not taken away. Like St. Paul, I get only, "My grace is sufficient."

Grace is only sufficient if it is taken in small doses every day. Grace is like my heart medication. It works on the inside of me without much fanfare or outward noticeable affect unless I stop taking it. Then it becomes quite apparent to me because my body begins to hurt in small ways at first but more serious ways later.

When I stop applying grace and start living under the law again with my mindset of trying harder and doing more for Jesus it isn't long before my soul begins to dry up. I become like a dry sponge on the inside and I don't have any real living water to share because I am not drinking from them myself. I can't take anyone else farther than I have gone.

Instead of rejoicing in my weaknesses and God's strengths I get puffed up and somewhat obsessed with doing good for Jesus rather than seeing that He is my goodness. This leads me to cover up and hide my failures behind a mask of performances and respectability.

When, after some time of hiding the truth, my insides are crying out that I need some grace medicine, I can't bear to be honest because it could embarrass the church or the gospel so I just continue to hide. Is there a safe place to share my heart and soul?

That is what I am trying to do as I meet with ministers and other leaders. At golf, classes, private sessions or family counseling I want to be a person who can listen to the dry sponges and help them get refilled.

Every leader has, at some point, experienced the love and grace of God but ministry may have gotten so busy that they forgot how to do it. The spring got all filled up with thorns and rocks. It just takes a few sessions for most ministers to discover the great freedom that comes from openly sharing his deepest needs in a confidential setting.



No comments: