Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Change Agents

I am busy tonight. Galina called from Moscow late tonight after I had fallen asleep following a very busy day of ministry and baby running. Karen and I had the wonderful privilege of being with all three grand kids, Jacob 12, Lily 4.5 and Jack 2, over the weekend and then Jack again Monday and Tuesday. We dare not call it "Baby Sitting" when these young and energetic kids are around for rarely does anyone sit but we sure do run. We were exhausted.

I also spoke at a professional Organizational Development Network group today about the Six Stages of Change. (See Changing for Good by Prochaska, et al.) I reported in an earlier post on my talk to the Hope for Cincinnati Pastors' last Thursday and I revisited it with ODN tonight.

The ODN group was enthusiastic and we had a great conversation. This group is very interested in discussing change for that is our bread and butter. One of the participants asked if anyone ever got to Stage Six, Completion. Good question that made me think.

Alcoholics Anonymous, of course, suggests that we never say we are healed or have completed the journey toward wholeness and free from temptation. As I get older I am moving more and more toward that position.

I have not finished being on a diet. Although I have lost 20 pounds I can regain it by relapsing in my lifestyle choices. Unfortunately, great but fattening food is all around me and my friends love to make sure I have enough to eat. However, I have reached Stage Six with smoking. I truly do not find it the least bit tempting any more.

Several people asked good questions about how to motivate people when they are stuck. In our book, Hope and Change for Humpty Dumpty Steve Griebling and I suggested several questions Change Agents can ask when a client or friend is stuck and cannot move on to a healthier place. We must remember, however, that all change is essentially SELF CHANGE. We cannot make anyone else change. Even as Christians we realize that God can motivate or Convict people of the need to change but they must say, "Yes" to His call.

No comments: