Saturday, February 10, 2007

Knowing How to Minister to Hurting Persons


I have recently been in several meetings where the topic of counseling people about spiritual issues arose. Several of the members were mystified about the topic, as though religion and spirituality were it were a toxic substance that is incompatible with mental health.
I suppose I am stunned by the inability of experienced psychologists and psychiatrists to integrate the basic beliefs and values of clients into the therapy. That seems strange to me because I am committed to listening to and learning from the Beliefs and Convictions of the Seeker.
Only when I truly understand the Seeker's ideas and feelings will I be able to guide them into a healthier direction. If you are confused about how to minister to different kinds of people with effectiveness and joy, read our latest book, shown here. You can get it from us by writing me at gsweeten@lifewaycenters.com or from www.authorhouse.com
It will give you a process to deliver better pastoral care, counseling and discipleship. I guarantee that you will gain insights about change that you never even thought about before.

No comments: