Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Problems With Guilt

There are two main problems with Guilt. First, many people feel guilty and are not guilty. Second, many people do not feel guilty and are guilty. A recent article in the Associated Press noted that a new study done by psychologists in higher education discovered that narcissism is growing rapidly among college age students.

Guess which issue Narcissistic People have with guilt. Do you think they have too much or too little guilt? "You, my friends, win the big prize. Narcissists have little if any sense of guilt yet they are guilty of many things and rarely if ever confess their wrongs."

Ever since the "Self Esteem Movement" took the nation by storm kids have been told they are wonderful, special and perfect." Even if the kid was mean, selfish and lazy he/she was affirmed for being above average.

We saw the result of such preening behavior on American Idol when people who sang badly off key and knew none of the words were angered that the judges told them the truth about their lack of talent. Worse yet, their parents and friends were also angry and shocked that their special, gifted and wonderfully talented singers were rejected by the cruel judges.

On the other hand we have people who "feel" guilty over just living and breathing. Their sense of unbridled agony over every mistake large or small brings forth a spring of apologies despite there being no wrongs.

Let me explain something. Guilt of the True Moral kind is not a feeling but a fact. Guilt is a term from the court room and has a legal implication. My former Medical Director, Dr. Emmett Cooper was a forensic Psychiatrist who said he never met a guilty man in prison or the court system.

Several years ago I was driving home from the airport after a long flight and many weeks abroad on a mission trip. My foot became very heavy and I drove way too fast through a speed trap on I-75. A very nice police officer stopped me. I knew I was Guilty but I did not feel guilty. I felt frustration, anger and self-pity. But, I was guilty as charged. Guilt is based on whether or not we have violated the law. Period.

So if you are filled with guilt feelings for no apparent reason, talk with someone who can help you discern why. If you treat people badly and feel no guilt speak with someone and find out why. Saddam, as far as we can discern, had no guilt feelings about murder, rape and destruction of people and property. However, he was guilty.

We cannot be guided by feelings alone but by God's word.

No comments: