Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Don't Speak Frankly

I have not gotten any comments on this post but a couple of comments on the original blog have said we ought not be asking such questions as these for they undermine the credibility of ministers. From reading this poll I would say it is too late to undermine ministers' credibility. Over 90% of the respondents already think we lie about attendance so that means we are not held in very high esteem now.

I am not convinced that speaking openly about reality is bad for ministers. It seems to me that it is the truth, unveiled reality that sets us free. By failing to openly discuss how people think we can get a better handle on how to minister the truth.

In my many years of church membership and ministry I have found very few pastors who intentionally exaggerate the attendance figures. We might give an occasional "Evangelistic Estimate" but all in all we usually try to tell the truth. So, the fact that some 90% think we lie is a problem to getting people to follow us in Christ's call.

I personally value good statistics but realize that not all stats are reliable and we need to ask how reliable and valid these things really are. I don't think these data are very reliable but they might point out that we have a credibility problem that we need to work on.

We can work on credibility by asking our members what they really think. Open, genuine conversations can heal many mis-perceptions and misunderstandings and help those of us in ministry correct our problems.

No comments: