Friday, March 09, 2007

Expectations and Moods

In my last post I quoted the Wall Street Journal online version about the high percentage of persons in America who admit to being "depressed and anxious". One might naturally ask, "What on earth do we Americans have to be worried about? We are healthy, wealthy and not so wise but life is good here in the USA." Yes, but is life as good as we want?

Several years ago I was returning from Russia during Bill Clinton's first run for the Presidency with the slogan, "It's the economy stupid". James Carville came up with the slogan and it led to the defeat of George Bush #1. His inept candidacy led to being booted from office during an economic boom. Upon my flight's return to the JFK Airport late one afternoon I heard Mr. Clinton speaking about how terrible the economy was in our nation. "It is the worst since the Great Depression" he said with great pathos.

Mr. Clinton, like all politicians, was not speaking factually to the brains of listeners. Bill Clinton is a genius in communication. He is able to touch listeners' feelings in an amazing manner. Despite facts to the contrary, people were convinced that the economy was bad and they were suffering terribly from the economic mistakes of George Bush.

I, however, had just returned from Russia that was an economic basket case. I had also grown up when the economy was terrible and could remember the difference between good and bad times. So, I could hardly believe my ears when I looked up at the TV monitor and heard Bill Clinton's remarks about how badly Americans were living.

It is a matter of expectations in the audience not reality of income or living standards. During the last election cycle my brother was grouching about how badly the economy was performing under a new George Bush. One of his comments was, "We are certainly worse off now than when you and I were kids."

My memories about what our family had during childhood are not painful but I certainly do not think we had anything like the material things we have now. So, my expectations are lower than the younger brother. If my expectations about food are high I will be less satisfied even if the service and quality I receive in a restaurant is good. Karen and I have been spoiled because we expect fresh fruit, fresh veggies and good meat every time we go out. Just a few years ago these items were not available at all because refrigeration and international trade were not available.

The depression survey mentioned above indicated that poor people in Nigeria were more satisfied than rich Americans. It obviously takes less to please a person from the Third World than those of us who have everything at our finger tips. How can I be expected to be happy if my microwave oven is on the blink or I am stuck in traffic in my new BMW or I cannot stay out after hours? Kids are depressed now at age 11 if they haven't yet developed big breasts like Brittany Spears or a jump shot like Michael Jordan. Unfortunately, many parents agree with them and do almost anything to please their kids, leading to unreal and unreachable expectations. That is assured depression.

No comments: