Friday, March 16, 2007

Pacifists for Power and Might

Sometimes I do not know whether to laugh or cry when I read about the antics of radicals in the USA and around the world. For one thing, many of them take on such high sounding names that I am suspicious from the first moment that I see their monikers.

Perhaps my lack of confidence in these holy minded groups springs from an experience I had back in the Anti-War Sixties and Seventies. I was Associate Dean at the University of Cincinnati and dealt almost daily with radicals of all sorts.

There was a famous group operating on campus called, Students for a Democratic Society who was as vicious and undemocratic as any mob I ever saw. Their motto could well have been, "Support our anti war rhetoric or we will destroy you!"

One fine spring evening I overheard a group of people vow to "Set fire to the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Building and burn it to the ground." I immediately called the Campus Cops and reported the conversations with a description of the woman I heard.

The cops thought they knew who it was and immediately wanted to arrest her. We piled in two or three police cruisers and drove over to Daniels Hall to pick her up. It was apparent that the woman, Joyce Reichman, an SDS leader, was not the person I heard so the police reluctantly turned her loose.

Later, SDS developed a plan to kidnap my family and me to teach me a lesson. I am not sure what lesson I was to have learned but maybe it was about supporting SDS and similar peace groups. This, and other similar experiences taught me to have a healthy scepticism about the claims of peace groups.

In today's Opinion Journal we have examples of other hypocritical peace mongering. Opinion Journal [OpinionJournal@wsj.com]

"A group devoted to social tolerance has been accused of being intolerant," reports the Argus of Fremont, Calif. The finger-pointing came after an altercation occurred at a meeting for the Fremont Alliance for a Hate-Free Community, where a discussion about hate crimes deteriorated into an ugly incident, witnesses said.

While trying to eject 71-year-old Barbara Marques from the monthly gathering Monday, the Rev. Garnet McClure grabbed and shook the chair in which Marques was sitting, attendee Sharon Giottonini said.

McClure, a female pastor at Fremont Congregational Church, reacted after Marques said the 2002 slaying of transgender teen Gwen Araujo might not be a hate crime, several witnesses said.

A scuffle ensued and McClure continued to pull on Marques' chair, said Giottonini, a member of the alliance and the East Bay Coalition for Border Security, a Fremont anti-illegal-immigration group.

In Montreal, "more than a dozen people have been arrested after a demonstration against police brutality turned ugly," the Canadian Press reports:

Montreal police riot squad officers are swooping on demonstrators after they got off a subway in the city's east end and targeted a McDonald's restaurant. After that, other businesses were hit. Several trash fires have been set and one police van has been damaged.

They hate hate, and they're violently opposed to violence!

3 comments:

Michael W Cristiani said...

Gary,

Something I remember from our past! Those were fun days on the campus. On the plus side, when UC shut down that Spring, I appreciated the library fine amnesty program!

Gary Sweeten said...

Mike, Those were exciting days all right and God's grace showed through in small ways. I suppose the grace about library fines was one of the lights shining in the darkness.

I remember hearing for the first time the phrase that, "Things are better and better and worse and worse. The light is lighter and the dark is darker." So many people were brought to Christ and others were filled with the passion and desire to serve God. I am thankful to hear from many of the gang, including you, who were touched by the Spirit in the Revolution.

Michael W Cristiani said...

Gary,

Speaking of "Revolution":

THE REVOLUTION

John 1: 29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.
30 He is the one of whom I said, 'A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.'
31 I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel."
32 John testified further, saying, "I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky and remain upon him.
33 I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the holy Spirit.'
34 Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God."
35 The next day John was there again with two of his disciples,
36 and as he watched Jesus walk by, he said, "Behold, the Lamb of God." 37 The two disciples heard what he said and followed Jesus.
38 Jesus turned and saw them following him and said to them, "What are you looking for?" They said to him, "Rabbi" (which translated means Teacher), "where are you staying?"
39 He said to them,"Come, and you will see." So they went and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day. It was about four in the afternoon. 40
Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, was one of the two who heard John and followed Jesus.
41 He first found his own brother Simon and told him, "We have found the Messiah" (which is translated Anointed).
42 Then he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon the son of John; you will be called Cephas" (which is translated Peter).
43 The next day he decided to go to Galilee, and he found Philip. And Jesus said to him, "Follow me."
44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the town of Andrew and Peter.
45 Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one about whom Moses wrote in the law, and also the prophets, Jesus, son of Joseph, from Nazareth."
46 But Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come from Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see."
47
Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and said of him, "Here is a true Israelite. 32 There is no duplicity in him."
48 Nathanael said to him, "How do you know me?" Jesus answered and said to him, "Before Philip called you, I saw you under the fig tree."
49 Nathanael answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel."
50
Jesus answered and said to him, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than this."